Monday, April 20, 2009

"It was shipped all the way from Norweiga"

If you know where that quote is from you are awesome!
Anyways for Easter Break I went to Norway to visit my old FES(Foreign Exchange Student), it was my favorite trip so far! I got to stay with Ingrid and her family which was so nice! They picked me up from the airport saturday night and we drove straight to their cabin in Beito, it took about 3 hours to get there. I met the rest of the family that I hadn't yet, (they came to visit while Ingrid lived with me and my family). Anyways I met Ingrid's older brother and girlfriend Susannah, and their grandmother. The next morning was Easter and they had a scrumptious breakfast(bacon and eggs) and then we headed out for our skiing adventure. That is right I went cross country skiing for the first time ever! And I was amazing! haha just kidding! I fell within the first 10 minutes and couldn't get up by myself because I had skiis attached to my feet, so Ingrid's dad helped me and then guided me along for awhile, then I tried it on my own again and didn't fall the rest of the time. We skiied to a spot where we could have a little fire and make sausages with loompa, which are small tortillas basically, it was very good! After our little pinic in the freezing cold snow, we skiied back to the street where we had to walk back to the cabin. We had Easter dinner, which Erik and Susannah made, and it was lamb and vegetables! Then that night I taught the whole family how to play Scum, so we played a few rounds and then went to bed. Monday we drove back to Oslo and I met two of Ingrid's friends that night. Tuesday I got a mini tour of Oslo, and saw the castle for the royalty of Norway. Then we got on a ferry to go to Copenhagen that night at 5 and got there the next morning at 9:30. My first experience sleeping on a ship was good so I think I could do a cruise! Copenhagen is probably my favorite city right now, it was clean, colorful, and had great weather! The little mermaid statue is there and was first on my list to see! Then we saw a few churches and new harbor which was my favorite part, and probably the most colorful part as well. We did a little shopping as well and then started to head back to the ferry when we realized we were walking in the right direction on the wrong side of the water, so we started to run back and then Ingrid's mom ran ahead of us to look for a taxi, Ingrid spotted one and put her vocal chords to good use! So me and her had to run to the cab, we made it in time though! We were back in Oslo by 9:30 Thursday morning. Ingrid got sick that day so we took it easy and both had naps, watched La Vita e Bella(great movie!) and then I met all of their neighbors that night at dinner and went to Frogner park with one of their neighbors who is an architect and designed the visitors center for the park. The park is basically just full of naked statues haha! Anyways friday I ventured to Oslo by myself to see a movie, I got to see He's Just Not That Into You, I loved it! I thought it was really cute! And I found american candy in Oslo which was awesome! Twizzlers and Reeses Pieces( two of my faves). That night Ingrid and me and a bunch of her friends went out to dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, which is delicious as always, and for dessert I got cheesecake! The Rome Hard Rock doesn't have this dessert option! Saturday was museum day! We went to the Folk Museum and the Viking Ship Museum and then grabbed a quick lunch in Oslo and did a little shopping. That night after dinner with their family I made cookies for everybody! I didn't realize how much I missed baking until I actually had the chance to do it again! I have the recipe for chocolate chip memorized and just had to convert cups to different measurements so I acutally did a lot of guessing, but they turned out pretty good, not as good at home but still pretty good! Anyways sunday we went to Oslo again and saw this fortress overlooking the sea and it still has the old canons there too! And we went to the new opera house in Olso because you can walk on the roof and it is also on the sea. After that we drove back to Baerum which is a suburb of Oslo and where Ingrid's family lives to go to a modern art museum. That night me and Ingrid just hung out and watched movies and then early this morning her dad drove me to the airport! It was so nice of them to let me stay and not let me pay for anything(believe me I tried too numerous times). It was great being in a family setting again especially for Easter!

2 comments:

Nancy Face said...

A Cinderella Story!!!

Hey, it was fun reading this after seeing the pictures! :)

Bethany said...

haha yes! That is exactly right!