Saturday, January 31, 2009

School....wait, what?!

So you know how I am in Italy "studying abroad"? Well that "studying abroad" isn't just going on cool trips everywhere like Paris and Rome but I actually have to go to school too! Lame right?! Well I actually don't mind the school part as much as I thought I would. So far the classes have been pretty good! Here are the classes that I am attending: Elementary Italian I, Italian Culture, Italian Gardens, Italian Cuisine, and Survey of Art II. Well let me just tell you a little about each one. First is Elementary Italian I, this one I have 3 times a week and just had my first test in it! My teacher likes to just talk in Italian which the first day of class was so intimidating when she did that but now I am used to it and can actually figure out what she is saying sometimes. The first test was not as bad as I thought it would be, I think I did pretty good on it, I'll find out on monday! Then I have Italian Culture, this class is interesting in the way they structered it, one week we have one teacher and then one week we have a different teacher and they alternate. One of the teachers is having us read Under The Tuscan Sun and analyzing it, we just finished watching the movie in class but she constantly tells us how much she dislikes the author of Under the Tuscan Sun (we get it lady, you don't like her), then the other teacher goes into depth about how Italian Culture is portrayed by other countries and cultures. Next I have Survey of Art II, I just switched into this one from Travel Writing because Travel Writing was too much homework it would have clashed with my going on trips almost every weekend I am here agenda! Anyways Survey of Art is just like Art History but of Italian artists that we will learn about and then go on 2 field trips to Rome to see the works in person in museums! So that should be fun! The lecture part of it is not as fun its 3 hours long and kind of boring but the teacher is really nice! Then onto my favorite two classes Italian Gardens and Italian Cuisine! Italian Gardens is great, we learn about these old gardens that were created and have all these stories and myths tied to them. We learn about one day and then get to see it in person the next! Best way to learn if you ask me! Then Italian Cuisine we only have 5 classes which is kind of sad but it will be my favorite 5 days of the time I am here! In this class we learn about the different regions of Italy and what food is typical of that region and then get to prepare it and sit down with our whole class and have a 5 course meal! Most amazing class ever! Well those are the classes I am taking and that is what I do during the week basically!

No comments: