Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bagnaia

This weekend was super busy and a ton of fun. On friday I started another class Italian Culture and right after that class it was just about time to go to the big bonfire in Bagnaia. Bagnaia is a neighboring town of Viterbo, 15 minutes by bus, 60 minutes by feet. So Cassie, Rachal, and I had bought 2 bus tickets earlier that day one for the way there and one for the way back. After class we walked to the bus station which was about ten minutes away and found the right bus to get on and hopped on it. We were a little early so we were just sitting on the bus waiting to go. A little bit after we got on some other people from our group started getting on the bus as well. We met new friends that night the Iowa girls....Beth, Amy, and Jenny. They all go to school in Iowa hence the name I have given them. Well we got to Bagnaia about 6 and walked to the Piazza where the bonfire was going down. In the middle of the Piazza was a huge tepee of wood, with a newspaper inside and guys pouring gasoline all down it, so that it would actually start on fire. We got to see it the wood tepee get lit and how much smoke it made was crazy! Then there was a meal for 6 euros that you could enjoy. However the meal was not so enjoyable. It came with bread, cheese, pork, sausage, beans, and wine. The pork was basically just fat and bones, the beans were like a grey color and cold(not very appetizing), and well I don't drink wine. So all I had was the bread, cheese, and sausage and water. While we were eating we were freezing because we were not near the fire so we went to stand closer to it and little flecks of flames were flying everywhere so we decided to go back to Viterbo. We had to wait a little bit for the bus and so I got hot chocolate out of a vending machine(crazy I know) to help warm me up. It helped and was acutally really good and just about the perfect amount of hot chocolate. We ended up getting back to our dorms around 9ish. So it was a fun night but too cold for my liking!
Me, Rachal, and Cassie in front of the massive bonfire!
The Massive bonfire

Our new friends!

Cassie, Me, Rachal, Amy, Beth, and Jenny

No comments: